Wednesday 12 January 2011

A request for a NYC Cake for a 40th Birthday

I received an email from Melanie from Bellissimo Wedding and Event Planners to make a very special cake for her close friend from New York, she wanted something stylish for her 40th Birthday party that would match the colours of the amazing marquee they had booked for the party - which were black, silver and white.

I created a two tier stacked chocolate cake covered in chocolate swiss meringue butter cream and layered with chocolate swiss meringue buttercream and chocolate fudge, then covered with sugarpaste and shimmered. I painted stars all over the cake in edible silver paint and created a New York skyline using black petal paste.

I created the glittered Statue of Liberty by making a run-out in grey icing and covered in edible silver glitter, once one side was dry I turned it over and covered the back in the same way so that it would look the same on both sides. This was placed very carefully into the top of the cake to finish the New York theme. I added a black sign with 'Happy 40th Birthday' and finish off the cake with black ribbon.

As you can see from the images she was really surprised and delighted with the cake - it was a fantastic challenge and I was pleased with the end result.

No comments:

Post a Comment